Tuesday, October 14, 2025

Micro-Teaching Reflection, Oct 1st

On Oct 1st, we did our non-curricular micro-teaching. My micro-teaching was on how slugs mate. Overall, I am quite satisfied by how I was able to deliver the contents, despite that there was some moments that I couldn't organise my sentence very well. 

My biggest mis-plan was on timing and pacing. I think I end up finishing everything I prepared to talk about in 7 minutes. Luckily, the 3 minutes left was mostly covered by answering the questions students brought up. 

There is a specific part that I want to reflect on. At the very beginning of my micro-lesson, when I asked my students what they know about slugs and how they mate, Danielle answered with significant prior knowledge on this topic - they knew that slugs are hermaphrodites and they hang and intertwine when mating, which surprised me. I then felt like the beans was spilled, I was a little panic, and I kind of started to rush through. However I could have respond that "Oh excellent, we will definitely go into what you just said.", and encourage more input from the other students. 

If I was to deliver this micro-lesson again, I will try to slow down the pace. Especially in the beginning, since there was only 4 audiences, I could have ask students to share their prior knowledge or any thoughts they have on slugs one by one, which can make them feel more engaged in the lesson. Also, by knowing how each of them feel about this topic, the languages/narrative I use to explain the mating process could be tailored. Moreover, JJ's feedback also echoed this pacing problem, as he point out that I might want to take more pauses to make sure the audiences are following. 

Other than JJ's feedback, both Danielle and Snow pointed out that there could be some participatory activities. Indeed, I was quite obsessed with all the contents I wanted to deliver, and ended up giving a lecture-heavy lesson. It would be interesting to try incorporate some activities to the lesson. 

Below are the assessment sheets (from my peers and myself). 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Assignment 3

 Here's the link to my final unit plan.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/17E4Z3prEM3N1UDLRx0aiYqEn6CDnrVCNJKnAt2ani-s/edit?usp=sharin...