It’s quite difficult for me to come up with my favourite and least favourite math teacher. For my least favourite, I would collectively say the math teachers I had in elementary school, which I think there was 2-3 of them, and I only have the blurriest memories about them. One episode I remember from then is when we were learning the multiplication table. To make sure we were memorising the table, we were assessed on the table every class. The things goes like, we start with a student sitting in the corner of the class, students are asked to stand up and recite the few rows from the table that come after what the last student recited. And we go around the class. I was very shy and reserved at that time, as a result, although memorising the table wasn’t too challenging for me, being assessed in front of the whole class was a very anxious experience. Especially since the teacher was being intimidating.
I think I understand the reasons behind her intimidation. Actually, the majority of teachers I had in my elementary school was employing intimidation as a strategy for classroom management. To me, I am pretty sure I have always been on the very sensitive end of the spectrum, their intimidation was a form of aggression. These experiences are definitely the reason I want to be a friendly and approachable teacher, but also the reason I struggle with drawing boundaries.
When it comes to my favourite, I would say is my math teacher who taught me from grade 7-12. At least she’s the person came into my mind when I think about “my math teacher”. She wasn’t a very warm and friendly type of teacher, but she was very prepared and responsible - those are some qualities that I really admire about her. I very much want to be as prepared to teach as she has always been.
Sissie, I really appreciate how honestly you shared your experiences here. The story about the multiplication tables really shows how intimidating classrooms can shape how we see teaching, and I love how you’ve turned that into a commitment to being approachable. I also like how you admire your grade 7–12 teacher for her preparation and responsibility. It makes me wonder — do we sometimes need to be the teacher a student needs in that moment, even if we aren’t the teacher they ‘want’? You’re already thinking deeply about those balances, which will make your own practice very thoughtful.
ReplyDelete